I was browsing my blog reading list,
Thank you hubby!
any grease on the mixture will deflate your meringue.
was an added sophistication to the plain meringue.
- Preheat oven for 225° F.
- Beat egg whites with an electric mixer on medium speed until frothy. Use the wire whisk attachment if using a freetstanding mixer.
- Add Cream of Tartar, beat until soft peaks form.
- Add sugar, a tablespoon at a time. Beat into medium high speed until sugar is dissolved and until stiff and glossy peaks form.
- Add vanilla extract and food color (optional).
- Fill pastry bag with meringue mixture and pipe a 1/2 inch button size meringue 2 inches apart on a parchment lined baking pan.
- Rest one peppermint kiss on top of the button size mixture, and pipe meringue mixture around the peppermint kisses starting from the bottom up.
- Bake for 45 minutes. Rotate baking sheet from front and back halfway through baking time to ensure even baking.
- Turn oven off, and let cool in oven for about an hour or until completely cooled.
- Use Stainless steel or a glass bowl, plastic bowls tend to harbor grease and grease in the mixture will deflate your meringue.
- Eggs should be at room temperature, it separates well. If you find forgetting, just add lukewarm water to a large bowl and let eggs sit in it for a few minutes.
- Store Meringue in an airtight container, any humidity or moisture will soften the meringue. Can keep for a week.
- Do Not Open oven door on the first half of baking time, this will prevent meringue from cracking.
- Do Not use wax paper, meringue tends to stick on wax paper. Use Parchment paper or aluminum foil to line baking sheets instead.
- Leaving the meringue to cool in the oven for an hour or overnight makes a successful crispy on the outside meringue.