4 cups chicken stock
2 cups water
2 lbs chicken, (bone-in, cut in small pieces)
1 large onion, diced
2 tbsp ginger, peeled & cut into strips
2 lemon grass
3 chayote squash or 1 medium green papaya
1/2 cup cilantro or pepper leaves
Salt and pepper to taste
- In a large pot, add water, stock, onions, ginger and lemon grass. Bring to a boil at medium-high heat.
- Add chicken. Bring to a boil. Then lower heat to medium and continue to cook for 10 mins.
- Season with salt and pepper.
- Add chayote squash or green papaya. Cook until squash/papaya is tender.
- Add cilantro (or pepper leaves or moringa leaves if available).
- Serve hot.
- You can find all ingredients in your local Asian Market. If you live in California all ingredients are available in any grocery stores.
- This soup is usually made with just water or rice washing, I added broth with water to add more flavor to the soup.
- I chose not to sauté the chicken with the aromatics because the less oil I use the better.
- I use chicken drummettes because my children prefer it.
- We usually pair this with rice, adding it to the soup.