1 1/2 cups Mungs beans
3 cups chicken or vegetable broth
4 cups water
3 cloves garlic, minced
1 medium Onion, chopped
1 medium tomato, diced
1 cup pork belly, 1/2 inch cube (optional)
1 cup shrimps, de-veined (optional)
Salt and pepper to taste
5 oz. bag Baby Spinach, washed
1 tbsp fice sauce (optional)
- In medium-high heat , onions until softened, in a medium stockpot .
- Add garlic, and pork belly, sauté until golden brown.
- Add tomatoes. And shrimps (optional). Cook for another 2 minutes.
- Season with salt and pepper.
- Add mungs beans, and chicken stock.
- Bring to a boil for about 2 mins.
- Reduce heat to medium.
- Cook for 60 minutes adding 1 cup of water every 15 mins.
- Add spinach, and fish sauce (optional) 5 minutes before turning off the heat.
- Mungs beans should open up, and tender.
- Soup should be not too thick, and not too watery.
- My mother and grandmother use to add shrimps with heads on and with shells. This gives more flavor to the soup.
- If you can't find pork belly or simply don't like them, you can substitute with ham or bacon. This will give the flavor some smokiness to it.
- I grew up with fish sauce so I like adding that flavor to my soup. You don't have to use it.